Here is an introduction to our project.
Our foodbank is a project started in 2011 by christians from local churches , working together towards stopping hunger in our local area.
Initially we were operating in the Kingswell Centre and started giving out food at the end of November 2011. In 2012 we moved to our current premises (56 Beatrice Street) and started operating there from the beginning of April 2016.
Then in May 2013 a second distribution centre was set up in Ellesmere where the Methodist Church have kindly allowed us to operate. Further centres were opened in Weston Rhyn and St Martins, but these two centres have now closed due to a lack of people using them.
Our desire is to ensure that transport problems in our rural area are not a barrier preventing people from accessing the foodbank.
The number of people fed in 2016 by our food bank was 1614 – an average of 31 people a week. At our food Bank: — 18,160.34kg (approximately 18 tonnes) of food was donated by the public and 21,101.43kg (approximately 20 tonnes) of food was given out to
those in need.